2012-02-01

Challenge 1: doodle/sketch daily

I had to be careful with my first challenge, I was going to be traveling abroad for half the month.  What I settled on was to doodle/sketch something every day;  something I've told myself for years to get back into but never really did.

The evidence


A key and important concept here is that I did not specify quality or time in this attempt, just do.  So most of these took on the order of minutes to do, some more, most less.

The failure
  • I actually had to change this into a "trial run" partway through because I actually failed the original idea of doing it every day.  I had to catch up because of days I missed/forgot/too fatigued/too busy.  I thought this was simple enough to do that I could do it while on my vacation, but my vacation was really busy and eventful and tiring.
  • I may have intended to not specify quality or time, but as it turns out I did have some internal requirements.  I was not satisfied with just 30 stick figures or smiley faces which would have kept me faithful to the original plan. But I wanted to actually sketch/doodle something.  This unfortunately required (and I did not realize this beforehand) a kind of personal time that was rare when I was traveling and explains a lot of the catchup need.  In other words, I never felt comfortable sitting there sketching with the wife and kid around somewhat vying for my attention, nor did I feel comfortable busting out my moleskine and pencil while out and about at dinner.

The success
  • I at least did finish which shows at least some kind of commitment.
  • The sketches do have at least some "good ol' college try" in them.
  • I finally finished filling up my last moleskine AND have it be populated with sketches, something that was supposed to be a regular thing but wasn't.
  • It allowed me to also use some new art implements I bought out of wishful thinking last year.  By art implements I mean a special pencil and sharpener.

The evaluation
  • Early on, I was discouraged because things I used to just whip up I just couldn't do.  I feel I lost what skill I had. This was very unsettling because I used to take pride in having some level of ability, it was supposed to be a life long hobby that just fell to the wayside way to long ago.
  • At times I was convinced that after the 30 days, I'd just give up and never bother with doing art again.  I thought I could sustain it as a hobby but it seems like it will just eat up time and not be an amateur career (like I thought 20 years ago).
  • On some days though, I was quite pleased with my 10 minute sketch, but few and far between.  I know I probably just need to keep at it, reboot the process.  It's harder to find that quite time now with a new family though.  I may have to reboot this with a future challenge again.
  • One of the biggest impediments was drawers block or paralysis. In addition to stick figures, I was also not content sketching pencils, or boxes, or boring inanimate objects.  When at my computer, I could use Google images as inspiration.  On the go though, I had a difficult time finding some stationary model.
  • In all, I believe I could have done it with the parameters I set forth, but my pickiness got in my way (and the traveling).  At least I finished it.


2 comments:

ScregMan said...

Thane!!! I am quite impressed. And I see you've got the classic Min Mei sketch!! Good work, ole friend. Keep it up!

mikshir said...

i had to put in some old staples of course: generic face, anime character, moon knight. or maybe just lack of imagination