2012-02-09

HK: Table bag holding hook

I don't know where it was invented but at HK stores and in particular the street markets these little devices were everywhere.  They are table hooks for holding your bag and whatnot under the edge of the table.  It's just a disk with a hook that you unwrap from the disk and let hang over the edge of the table and you hang your bag on the hook at the bottom.  I find it an ingenious design actually.


I bought a bunch of them, I should have bought more since they were cheap at the market.  The kind I got had a magnet in the disk for latching firmly to metal tables but with a felt-like cover so as not to scratch the surface.  I haven't tested hanging a fully loaded computer backpack on it but holds a respectable weight like the baby bag pictured.  They were designed with purses in mind, a lot of the ones I saw had more feminine designs on them and were next to compact mirrors and whatnot, though they were common in the sousvenir area too (where I got mine).

I can see these being popular out there; people I notice have an aversion to putting their personal effects on the floor. Yet I think I only saw it used only couple times, but that's not surprising since I haven't had all that much need to use mine either.  I'll probably keep one in my backpack.  I really like clever and useful devices.  I wonder if we'll start seeing them sold in the states.  The ones I got came out to be between a $1 and $2 a piece, but I can believe seeing them being hocked at like a Brookstone for $12-$25 and getting away with it.

No comments: