2011-05-19

Showerhead

Whenever I move to a new apartment, one of the first adjustments I make (almost immediately) is to replace that fixed showerhead with a detachable one connected via hose.  I can see sorta see some of the point that apartment buildings will have a fixed showerhead over a detachable one (slightly cheaper and less in need of maintenance) but I'm positively befuddled that people in their own homes don't use a detachable one (with some exception, e.g. the rain-fall variety but that's ok because the person actively changed the head to something they prefer).  Advantages of a detachable showerhead.
  • They give you control over where the water goes.
  • They make cleaning the bathtub area so much easier because you can spot rinse every corner.
  • You can spot wash/rinse any part of your body of course, you know what I mean.
  • It allows you to place water elsewhere, e.g. into oddly shaped tubs containers that don't fit under the tub faucet.
  • There are cheap versions around $10 that are pretty good and give all the benefits.
  • It's quick and easy to install, requiring only a hand wrench at most.
  • They can have just as many or few features as the fixed showerhead.
  • You can still use it as a fixed shower head if you are so inclined by not detaching it; and some models let you adjust the height.
What's not to love? All of the benefits, almost none of the drawbacks.  What is keeping people here from using them?

2 comments:

HotFudge said...

Since my Mom's stroke, I had to buy one for our downstairs bathroom. After shopping at Bed, Bath & Beyond, Home Depot and Lowe's, I finally found one with an adjustable neck.

This one was long enough (7 feet), to stretch across to the other side of the shower where there is a built-in seating area for her.

This has made things so much easier and convenient for the both of us when I am showering her!

bert wolfe said...

I'm with you on this one. Not so much as cleaning body areas but cleaning the shower area. So much easier than dunking a cup into a bucket of water.

We did recently stay at a hotel with the "rain-fall" shower head. It took me some time to get used to the direction of the water since it was directly overhead. Nice though. Not sure if I want to get one for the home.