2006-03-23

Yes, I have an iPod too


So after all that text, weighing, deciding, and most significantly... waiting... I picked up a Nano later last year. I hesitate to critique something too much until I've had some experience with it. Some exceptions exist when I'm utterly convinced right away. The Nano was something I was a bit weary of from the get-go though. But now that I've had mine for nearly half a year I think I have a pretty good handle on my likes and dislikes concerning it.

The good
  • It's tiny. Fits in every pocket. Feels sturdy dispite the size.
  • Adequate space. Space for a thousand songs is good enough for my purposes.
  • Bookmarks. I can leave a podcast/audiobook, listen to some music, then go back to it where I left off.
  • Great interface. I almost can't imagine a better scroller/selector than the little touch-click-wheel and screen.
  • Cool design. It's a pretty slick package ruined only by its exteme popularity.
  • No moving parts, which is probably why I can get a good half-day's batter life out of it.
The bad but there are hacks and workarounds
  • Can't manage/delete items using the device interface.
  • Restrictions restrictions restrictions.
  • Stuck with iTunes (though that's changing).
  • Not usable as a general drive by default. I mean it's basically a flash drive with an extra processor and screen. Why not be able to use it as a USB drive out of the box?
  • Stupid DRM.
  • Only mp3 and aac support.
The annoying
  • Didn't come with an outlet charger, just the usb-computer cord.
  • Costs too much.
  • Scratches easy.
  • Add-on-itis items that are pricey too.
  • Everything starting with lower-case-i.
  • Non-changable battery.
  • The PIM functions only work with Outlook, bah!
Wish it had, even at the expense of some space, but can live without
  • Good recording capabilities.
  • Digital output port.
  • Radio tuner and ability to record off radio.
Still, it serves the basic needs and is an otherwise great little item that I'm fairly pleased with. Now to wait for the 32Gig version.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I adore my U2 iPod, Mikshir. Maybe it's the sexy red clickwheel. Now there is talk of a whole screen iPod with 'virtual' click wheel. I'm glad I don't know about all of it's dirty little secrets as I'm pretty lo-tech, otherwise this Mac Grrl may be disappointed.

mikshir said...

U2 iPod... cool!

I think touch screens are great dispite their problems. Only practical downside for me is that I like to reach in to my pocket to pause playback or adjust volume but without looking at the screen. I can do this because the wheel is slightly fresco/relief so I can feel where the wheel is. Can't do that with a virtual screen. I'd be curious to check it out.

Ever since Mac went to OS-X I've seriously considered getting one. Held off for a bit too long and now longer because Macs have gone Intel and I want to wait till they get the bugs out.